PAIN – Five critical conceptual notions:
1. Injury or disease does not mean that you feel pain.
2. The nervous system moves and stretches as we move.
3. Pain, stress and performance are outputs of the brain.
4. Knowledge and movement are the greatest pain and stress liberators.
5. Nervous system plasticity gives new hope and technique.
Treatment Mechanisms in Pain:
- Non-specific effects
- Patient Expectation
- Provider Expectation
- Previous Experience
- Believability of the Intervention
- Psychologic State
- Framing and Language Surrounding the Intervention
- Regression to the Mean
- Naturally History
So what is pain?
…Is my idea of pain your idea of pain?
Here is a great video on the complexity of pain:
And 3 steps explaining its components:
Does pain have an even bigger picture? Yes it does:
Pain Management (wait for it 😉 ):
David Butlers DIM SIMS
DIMS = Danger In Me
SIMS = Safety In Me
SIMs: its not about thinking positive, its about DOING positive.
Revised Neurophysiology of Pain Questionnaire (RNPQ)
Örebro Musculoskeletal Pain Questionnaire (ÖMPQ)
http://linkis.com/www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/xBpjB – Pain and stress in a systems perspective